Eric Clapton Celebrity
- Raised by his grandparents.
- Believed that his mother Patricia, who had him out of wedlock at 16, was his sister; learned the truth when he was 9.
- Never met his biological father, who was a Canadian soldier stationed in Britain during World War II.
- Introduced to the blues by Uncle Mac's Children's Hour, a children's radio show that occasionally played blues songs.
- Received his first guitar at age 13.
- Joined his first band, the Roosters, at age 17, in early 1963.
- Recruited to the Yardbirds in October 1963; earned the nickname "Slowhand" during his stint with the band.
- Quit the Yardbirds because of their move to a pop sound with the hit single "For Your Love."
- Joined John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, a blues-purist group, in 1965. It was with them that he earned another nickname: "God."
- Formed Cream with Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker in July 1966.
- Broke up Cream in 1968 due to personality conflicts and a desire to get away from music driven by extended guitar solos.
- Played lead guitar on the Beatles' "While My Guitar Gently Weeps."
- Became a close friend of George Harrison.
- Formed the supergroup Blind Faith with Steve Winwood, Ginger Baker and Ric Grech after Cream disbanded. The band released one album before breaking up.
- Though unsure of himself as a singer, he pressed on with vocals and released his self-titled solo debut in 1970.
- Formed Derek and the Dominos in 1970, releasing the classic Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs album that same year.
- Inspired by his then-unrequited love for Pattie Boyd, wife of George Harrison, to write "Layla."
- Wrote the Grammy-winning "Tears From Heaven" for his 4-year-old son Conor, who died in 1991 when he fell from a 53rd-floor apartment in New York City.
- Struggled with addictions to alcohol and heroin, finally becoming sober in 1987.
- Founded Crossroads Centre, an alcohol-drug treatment facility in Antigua, in 1998.
- Has played guitar on songs by (among many others) Bob Dylan, Aretha Franklin, George Harrison, Elton John, B.B. King, John Lennon and Frank Zappa.
- Three-time inductee into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: with the Yardbirds (1992), Cream (1993) and on his own (2000).
- Published the acclaimed, best-selling Clapton: The Autobiography in 2007.
- 1992, Grammy — Album of the Year: Winner
- 2001, Grammy — Best Pop Instrumental Performance: Winner
- 1998, Grammy — Best Male Pop Vocal Performance: Winner
- 1994, Grammy — Best Traditional Blues Album: Winner
- 1992, Grammy — Song of the Year: Winner
- 1992, Grammy — Best Pop Vocal Performance - Male: Winner
- 1999, Grammy — Best Rock Instrumental Performance: Winner
- 1992, Grammy — Best Rock Vocal Performance, Male: Winner
- 1990, Grammy — Best Rock Vocal Performance, Male: Winner
- 1992, Golden Globe — Best Original Song - Motion Picture: Nominee
- 2000, Grammy — Best Traditional Blues Album: Winner
- 1996, Grammy — Record of the Year: Winner
- 1992, Grammy — Best Rock Song: Winner
- 1972, Grammy — Album of the Year: Winner
- 1996, Grammy — Best Rock Instrumental Performance: Winner
- 2008, Emmy — Outstanding Special Class - Not-exclusively-made-for-television Variety, Music, Comedy Event Programs: Winner
- 1992, Grammy — Record of the Year: Winner
- 2007, Grammy — Best Contemporary Blues Album: Winner
- 1996, Grammy — Best Male Pop Vocal Performance: Winner
- Patricia Molly Clapton — Mother
- Rose Clapp — Grandmother
- Lori Del Santo — Ex-significant Other
- Yvonne Kelly — Ex-significant Other
- Pattie Boyd — Ex-wife
- Melia McEnery — Wife
- Sheryl Crow — Ex-significant Other
- Conor Clapton — Son
- Julie Rose Clapton — Daughter
- Sophie Belle Clapton — Daughter
- Brian MacDonald — Half Brother
- Heather MacDonald — Half Sister
- Frank MacDonald — Stepfather
- Edward Walter Fryer — Father
- Ella May Clapton — Daughter
- Jack Clapp — Grandfather
- Ruth Clapton — Daughter
- Cheryl MacDonald — Half Sister
- Attended Kingston College of Art, Kingston-Upon-Thames, England
Trending TonightSee all »
By Hal LeonardUsually ships in 24 hours Buy New: $13.59 (as of 12:55 PM UTC - more info)
- Usually ships in 1-2 business days Buy New: $7.99 (as of 12:55 PM UTC - more info)
By Hal LeonardUsually ships in 24 hours Buy New: $15.23 (as of 12:55 PM UTC - more info)
- 1. Empire: Unto the Breach
- 2. Grey's Anatomy: Arizona & Alex: The First Flight
- 3. Desperate Housewives: Actors Picking up Character Traits
- 4. Mistresses: Toni Seduces Dom While Savi's Away
- 5. Empire: "Conqueror" (Feat. Estelle & Jussie Smollett)
- 6. Chicago Fire: Red Rag the Bull
- 7. Scandal: Randy, Red, Superfreak and Julia