This earthy, dirty blonde with heavy eyes was discovered while bartending in New York City and soon began working in commercials. She had only a few small parts under her belt when she captivated critics as Jake Gyllenhaal's love interest in the movie Moonlight Mile at age 33. Soon after, she had supporting roles (again as love interests) in the high-profile films Catch Me If You Can and Old School. However, television proved to be the medium that would allow her to cross from supporting player to lead when she landed the breakout role of romantically challenged doctor Meredith Grey on Grey's Anatomy. Though many of her costars regularly make gossip headlines, Pompeo often shies away from overexposure in the media, explaining that "it's not hard to stay out of the press if you don't want it." Following this philosophy, she quietly wed record producer Chris Ivery at City Hall in New York City in 2007, and Mayor Michael Bloomberg served as a witness to the small ceremony. In 2009, she and her husband welcomed a baby girl into their family. However, one place she often is seen by the press is at NBA games---both she and her husband are huge basketball fans.
- Was bartending in New York when she was approached to appear in commercials for Citibank and L'Oreal.
- Mayor Michael Bloomberg served as a witness when she married Chris Ivery in New York City in 2007.
- Is a basketball fan and is often seen attending NBA games.
- 2007, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series: Nominee
- 2006, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series: Winner
- 2015, Taormina Film Fest — Taormina Arte Award: Winner
- 2016, People's Choice Awards — Favorite Dramatic TV Actress: Winner
- 2015, People's Choice Awards — Favorite Dramatic TV Actress: Winner
- 2005, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series: Nominee
- 2007, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series - Drama: Nominee
- 2013, People's Choice Awards — Favorite Dramatic TV Actress: Winner
- Stella Luna Pompeo Ivery — Daughter
- Sienna May Ivery — Daughter
- Maureen — Sister
- Eli Christopher Ivery — Son
- Kathleen Pompeo — Mother
- Joseph Pompeo — Father
- Chris Ivery — Husband
- Birth Name: Ellen Kathleen Pompeo
- Birth Place: Everett, Massachusetts, United States
- Profession: Actor
Trending TonightSee all »
Is Alex a little too concerned?