- Considered one of the most influential guitarists in the history of rock music.
- Immigrated with his family to California from the Netherlands in the 1960s.
- Began learning piano as a young child.
- Took up the drums while his brother, Alex, started playing guitar after their family's move to the U.S.; they eventually switched instruments.
- Taught himself to play guitar by listening to legendary axemen like Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page.
- Was the original lead singer of Mammoth, the band he and Alex formed in high school; it was later renamed Van Halen.
- Made his recording debut on Van Halen's 1978 self-titled album, which has sold more than 10 million copies.
- Played the fiery guitar solo on Michael Jackson's 1983 hit "Beat It."
- Battled tongue cancer in the early 2000s.
- Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, as a member of Van Halen, in 2007.
- Married his second wife, Janie, in a ceremony officiated by Alex, who is an ordained minister.
- 1991, Grammy — Best Hard Rock Performance With Vocal: Winner
- Valerie Bertinelli — Ex-wife
- Janie Liszewski — Wife
- Eugenia Van Halen — Mother
- Wolfgang Van Halen — Son
- Alex Van Halen — Brother
- Jan Van Halen — Father
- Attended Pasadena City College, Pasadena, CA
- Birth Name: Eduard Lodewijk Van Halen
- Birth Place: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Profession: Rock guitarist
Trending TonightSee all »
Here's how everything changed in "Chapter 6"
By Lick LibraryBuy New: $11.99
Van Halen - Signature Licks: A Step-by-Step Breakdown of the Guitar Styles and Techniques of Eddie Van Halen (Guitar Signature Licks)
By Hal LeonardBuy New: $16.99
How to Play Rock Lead Guitar: Learn to Play like George Lynch, Gary Moore, Jimmy Page, Eddie Van Halen, Bill Gibbons & Many Others
By Hal LeonardBuy New: $14.99