- Dropped out of high school and joined forces with her sister and Etta Jones to create a performing trio called the Dandridge Sisters.
- Performed as a nightclub singer at the Cotton Club and the Apollo Theater.
- Was the first African-American nominated for a Best Actress Academy Award (for her role in Carmen Jones).
- Had one child, a daughter, with first husband Harold Nicholas. She was born with a brain injury and was eventually put in a state hospital after Dandridge could no longer afford her care.
- Died of an accidental drug overdose at age 42.
- 1960, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy: Nominee
- 1954, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 1955, BAFTA Film Awards — Best Foreign Actress: Nominee
- 1960, Golden Globe — Actress in a Leading Role - Musical or Comedy: Nominee
- Vivian Dandridge — Sister
- Harolyn Suzanne Nicholas — Daughter
- Harold Nicholas — Ex-husband
- Otto Preminger — Ex-significant Other
- Ruby Dandridge — Mother
- Cyril Dandridge — Father
- Peter Lawford — Ex-significant Other
- Jack Denison — Ex-husband
Trending TonightSee all »
By HBO StudiosUsually ships in 24 hours Buy New: $4.96 (as of 3:04 PM UTC - more info)
By BiografilmUsually ships in 24 hours Buy New: $14.99 (as of 3:04 PM UTC - more info)
- Usually ships in 1-2 business days Buy New: $9.99 (as of 3:04 PM UTC - more info)