- Was an announcer for the Armed Forces Network during World War II.
- Made his TV debut on The Phil Silvers Show in 1957.
- The Dick Van Dyke Show was originally titled Head of the Family and the lead was played by show creator Carl Reiner; network executives recast Van Dyke in the role after seeing his Tony-winning performance on Broadway in Bye, Bye Birdie.
- Delivered the eulogy at the 1965 funeral for his idol, actor Stan Laurel.
- Inducted into the Television Academy Hall of Fame in 1995.
- At the age of 80, began a new series of Hallmark Channel TV movies with Murder 101 (2006).
- Performed with Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith and singer-songwriter Leslie Bixler on the 2010 children's album Rhythm Train.
- 1974, Emmy — Best Lead Actor in a Drama: Nominee
- 1990, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 1963, Emmy — Outstanding Continued Performance by an Actor in a Series: Nominee
- 1972, Golden Globe — Actor in a Leading Role - Musical or Comedy Series or Television Movie: Nominee
- 1976, Emmy — Outstanding Writing for a Comedy-Variety or Music Special: Nominee
- 1965, Emmy — Outstanding Individual Achievements in Entertainment: Winner
- 1964, Emmy — Outstanding Continued Performance by an Actor in a Series: Winner
- 1964, Grammy — Best Recording for Children: Winner
- 1977, Emmy — Outstanding Comedy-Variety or Music Series: Winner
- 1977, Emmy — Outstanding Writing in a Comedy-Variety or Music Series: Nominee
- 1966, Emmy — Outstanding Continued Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role in a Comedy Series: Winner
- 1977, People's Choice Awards — Favorite Male Performer in a New TV Program: Winner
- 1965, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy: Nominee
- 1961, Tony — Actor, Supporting or Featured (Musical): Winner
- 2012, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Life Achievement Award: Winner
- 1964, Grammy — Best Musical Album for Children: Winner
- Hazel Van Dyke — Mother
- Carrie Beth Van Dyke — Daughter
- Michelle Triola — Ex-significant Other
- Christian Van Dyke — Son
- Barry Van Dyke — Son
- Jerry Van Dyke — Brother
- Stacey Van Dyke — Daughter
- Arlene Singer — Wife
- Loren Van Dyke — Father
- Marjorie Willett — Ex-wife
- Birth Name: Richard Wayne Van Dyke
- Birth Place: West Plains, MO
- Profession: Actor, Comedian, Writer, Singer
Trending TonightSee all »
Matt Damon dated a Stranger Things star in 2000.
By St. Martin's PressBuy New: $18.99
By IMAGE ENTERTAINMENTBuy New: $15.10
By IMAGE ENTERTAINMENTBuy New: $16.64