- During the making of 1958's From Hell to Texas, he fought with director Henry Hathaway, an incident that Hopper claimed got him banned from major studio productions for several years.
- Moved to New York City to work in TV, and worked part-time as a photographer.
- Walked off the set after the first day of filming The Truman Show. The role was later filled by Ed Harris.
- Garnered acclaim for his paintings and photographs.
- Appeared in more than 140 TV series.
- Passed away on May 29, 2010, after a lengthy battle with prostate cancer.
- 1991, Emmy — Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or Special: Nominee
- 1986, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role: Nominee
- 1969, Oscar — Best Writing (Story and Screenplay--based on material not previously published or produced): Nominee
- 1987, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 1987, Independent Spirit Awards — Best Male Lead: Nominee
- 1969, Directors Guild of America Awards — Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Feature Film: Nominee
- 1969, Cannes Film Festival — Best First Film: Winner
- 1970, Writers Guild Awards — Original Drama: Nominee
- Jay Hopper — Father
- Galen Grier Hopper — Daughter
- Michelle Phillips — Ex-wife
- Ruthanna Hopper — Daughter
- Brooke Hayward — Ex-wife
- Daria Halprin — Ex-wife
- Henry Lee Hopper — Son
- Marin Hopper — Daughter
- Marjorie Hopper — Mother
- Katherine LaNasa — Ex-wife
- Victoria Duffy — Wife (separated)
- Attended Old Globe Theatre, San Diego, CA; attended Actors Studio, New York, NY
- Birth Name: Dennis Lee Hopper
- Birth Place: Dodge City, KS
- Died: May 29, 2010
- Profession: Actor, Director, Screenwriter, Visual artist
Trending TonightSee all »
Slaying the enemies of Jesus with the angel Castiel
By Barricade BooksBuy New: $26.95
By Amsterdam University PressBuy New: $37.50
- Buy New: $14.88