It's not easy to be charming and snide simultaneously, but this affable comic performer has forged a career out of delivering cutting quips with a winning smile. After starting in stand-up, Spade made a handful of TV guest appearances before signing on to Saturday Night Live in 1990. Although some viewers initially confused him with chameleon cast mate Dana Carvey, Spade fared best when playing himself (or some variant thereof), particularly during his snarky "Hollywood Minute" segments, which years later would serve as a blueprint for his Comedy Central series The Showbiz Show With David Spade. During Spade's SNL tenure, he ventured onto the big screen in a string of inane comedies, including two with late cast mate Chris Farley (Black Sheep, Tommy Boy). He then landed a role on the sitcom Just Shoot Me, playing a sarcastic underling. His next big TV moment came in 2007 when he was cast as the perpetually single Russell Dunbar in the sitcom Rules of Engagement. Spade himself has never been married, but he's been romantically linked to impressive array of Hollywood women, including Kristy Swanson, Lara Flynn Boyle, Julie Bowen and Heather Locklear.
- Was a member of his high-school chess club.
- Worked as a busboy, valet-parking attendant and skateboard-shop employee.
- Assaulted in his home with a stun gun by a former personal assistant in November 2000.
- Sister-in-law is handbag designer Kate Spade.
- Received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 2003.
- 1991, Emmy — Outstanding Writing in a Variety or Music Program: Nominee
- 1999, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 1990, Emmy — Outstanding Writing in a Variety or Music Program: Nominee
- 1993, Emmy — Outstanding Individual Achievement in Writing in a Variety or Music Program: Nominee
- 2000, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: Nominee
- 1999, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: Nominee
- Harper — Daughter
- Sam Spade — Father
- Andy Spade — Brother
- Kristy Swanson — Ex-significant Other
- Heather Locklear — Ex-significant Other
- Jillian Grace — Ex-significant Other
- Lara Flynn Boyle — Ex-significant Other
- Judy Todd — Mother
- Tom Todd — Stepfather
- Brian Spade — Brother
- Attended Scottsdale Community College, Scottsdale, AZ; attended Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ
Next On TVSee all »
- Birth Name: David Wayne Spade
- Birth Place: Birmingham, MI
- Birthday: July 22, 1964, Cancer
- Profession: Actor, Writer, Comedian
- User Rating:
Trending TonightSee all »
- 1. Wayward Pines: The Truth
- 2. Celebrity Family Feud: Anthony Anderson vs Toni Braxton and Monica Potter vs Curtis Stone
- 3. The Astronaut Wives Club: Launch
- 4. Beauty and the Beast: Primal Fear
- 5. The Blacklist: Lord Baltimore No. 104
- 6. The Vampire Diaries: I'll Remember
- 7. Game of Thrones: A Day in the Life