- As a child, lived for seven years in Nigeria, where his parents were born and his family descended from royalty.
- Was a member of London's National Youth Music Theatre, which is where he met his wife.
- Played King Henry VI in a 2001 Royal Shakespeare Company trilogy of the Bard's plays, and was the first black actor to portray an English king in an RSC production.
- For his role in the British spy drama Spooks, he met with British-intelligence officers.
- Cowrote a 2006 romantic comedy-drama for the BBC called Graham and Alice, about two London loners who decide to rob a betting shop.
- Fulfilled a bucket-list wish by working with Steven Spielberg on 2012's Lincoln.
- As part of the training for his role as a WWII Tuskegee Airman in 2012's Red Tails, he got to fly in vintage P-51 Mustangs.
- Appointed an OBE (Officer of the Order of the British Empire) in the 2016 New Year Honours.
- 2013, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 2013, Independent Spirit Awards — Best Supporting Male: Nominee
- 2015, Independent Spirit Awards — Best Male Lead: Nominee
- 2015, Critics' Choice Television Awards — Best Actor in a Movie or Limited Series: Winner
- 2015, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama: Nominee
- 2015, Emmy — Outstanding Television Movie: Nominee
- 2015, Emmy — Outstanding Lead Actor in a Limited Series or a Movie: Nominee
- 2015, Critics' Choice Movie Awards — Best Actor: Nominee
- 2016, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Limited Series or a Motion Picture Made for Television: Nominee
- Asher Oyolewo — Son
- Caleb Oyelowo — Son
- Jessica Oyelowo — Wife
- London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art, London, England (1998)
- Birth Place: Oxford, Oxfordshire, England
- Profession: Actor
Trending TonightSee all »
TVGuide.com editors break down theories about what's coming up on The Walking Dead