- As a child, lived for seven years in Nigeria, where his parents were born and his family descended from royalty.
- Was a member of London's National Youth Music Theatre, which is where he met his wife.
- Played King Henry VI in a 2001 Royal Shakespeare Company trilogy of the Bard's plays, and was the first black actor to portray an English king in an RSC production.
- For his role in the British spy drama Spooks, he met with British-intelligence officers.
- Cowrote a 2006 romantic comedy-drama for the BBC called Graham and Alice, about two London loners who decide to rob a betting shop.
- Fulfilled a bucket-list wish by working with Steven Spielberg on 2012's Lincoln.
- As part of the training for his role as a WWII Tuskegee Airman in 2012's Red Tails, he got to fly in vintage P-51 Mustangs.
- 2015, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama: Nominee
- 2015, Independent Spirit Awards — Best Male Lead: Nominee
- 2015, Critics' Choice Movie Awards — Best Actor: Nominee
- 2013, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- Jessica Oyelowo — Wife
- Caleb Oyelowo — Son
- Asher Oyolewo — Son
- London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art, London, England (1998)
Trending TonightSee all »
- Usually ships in 1-2 business days Buy New: $2.99 (as of 1:04 AM UTC - more info)
- Usually ships in 1-2 business days Buy New: $0.00 (as of 1:04 AM UTC - more info)
By HBO StudiosNot yet released Buy New: $39.96 (as of 1:04 AM UTC - more info)