Before presiding over what seemed like an endless number of lifeguards running in slow motion, this curly-haired goof played tall, dark and handsome on The Young and the Restless
for several years. In the '80s, he made the move to prime time as a crime fighter with a verbose vehicle in Knight Rider
. After the series ran out of gas, the sexy drama Baywatch
brought his lifesaving skills to the beach. Baywatch
premiered on NBC in 1989, but lasted one season before it was canceled. The show was revived in syndication, became popular worldwide, and spawned specials and unsuccessful spin-offs (including Baywatch Nights
and Baywatch Hawaii
). Hasselhoff concurrently embarked on a music career, releasing a number of albums to great popularity in Europe, particularly in Germany and Austria. After Baywatch
ended, Hasselhoff made his Broadway debut in the musical Jekyll & Hyde
. Meanwhile, "The Hoff" embraced his status as a pop-culture punch line and played a couple of campy roles in big movies (Click
). He returned to TV in 2006 as a judge on America's Got Talent
. Off-camera, life was not as lighthearted, as he dealt with an ugly divorce from Pamela Bach, with allegations of abuse. Even after most of the details had been settled by the courts, the drama continued: In May 2007, a video featuring a drunken Hasselhoff was leaked to the media and resulted in the temporary suspension of his child visitation rights. The footage had been filmed by his daughter. In June 2007, he was awarded primary physical and sole legal custody of his children, but his personal troubles continued to plague him as he tried to sustain his career momentum. In 2010, he left America's Got Talent
to do a reality show documenting life with his two daughters.David Hasselhoff Fast Facts:
- Knew he wanted to be a performer at a young age and took acting, singing and dancing lessons.
- Achieved fame as Dr. Snapper Foster on The Young and the Restless from 1975 to '82.
- Became an enormously popular singer in Europe, particularly in Germany and Austria, and in 1989 performed atop the remains of the Berlin Wall on New Year's Eve.
- Starred on the action-adventure series Knight Rider before being cast on Baywatch in 1989; although the show was canceled after one season, he bought the rights and launched it successfully into syndication, which made him a multimillionaire.
- Earned a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1996.
- Served as a judge on America's Got Talent for four seasons.
- Released Don't Hassel the Hoff: The Autobiography in 2007.
- In 2010, briefly reprised his role as Snapper on The Young and the Restless, and performed on Dancing With the Stars.
- David Hasselhoff Relationships:
- Catherine Hickland - Ex-wife
- Jean Hasselhoff - Sister
- Pamela Bach - Ex-wife
- Taylor Hasselhoff - Daughter
- Diane Hasselhoff - Sister
- Joe Hasselhoff - Father
- Joyce Hasselhoff - Sister
- Hayley Roberts - Significant Other
- Dolores Hasselhoff - Mother
- Hayley Hasselhoff - Daughter
- Lisa Hasselhoff - Sister
- David Hasselhoff Awards:
- 1983 People's Choice Awards: Favorite Male Performer in a New TV Program - Winner
- Attended Academy of Dramatic Arts, Pontiac, MI; attended California Institute of the Arts, Valencia, CA