- Was one of six children raised by a single mother.
- Formed Hootie and the Blowfish in 1986 after his eventual bandmate Mark Bryan heard him singing in the shower.
- Collaborated with R&B artist Jill Scott and hip-hop's Snoop Dogg on his first solo album, Back to Then.
- Was inspired to play country music after hearing Radney Foster's album Del Rio, Texas, 1959. In 2010, Rucker released his second album, titled Charleston, SC, 1966.
- Was initially dismissed as a gimmick when he began playing country music. Some country radio stations wouldn't play his songs, so he crossed the Southeast in his car, appearing on dozens of radio shows.
- Was only the third black artist (the other two were Ray Charles and Charlie Pride) to hit the top spot on the country-music chart.
- 2013, Grammy — Best Country Solo Performance: Winner
- 2016, CMT Music Awards — CMT Performance of the Year: Nominee
- 1995, Grammy — Best New Artist: Winner
- 1995, Grammy — Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal: Winner
- 2011, CMT Music Awards — CMT Performance of the Year: Nominee
- 2015, CMT Music Awards — Video of the Year: Nominee
- Carolyn Pearl Phillips — Daughter
- Daniella Rose — Daughter
- Jack — Son
- Beth — Wife
- Carolyn Rucker — Mother
- Attended University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC
- Birth Place: Charleston, SC
- Profession: Musician
Trending TonightSee all »
Carl might be on his way to the Big Pudding Can in the Sky
Charlie Rose with Donald Rumsfeld; Harry Smith, Louis Uchitelle & Robert Reich; Darius Rucker, Dean Felber, Mark Bryan & Jim Sonefeld (August 6, 1996)
By Charlie RoseBuy New: $24.95
By Hal LeonardBuy New: $16.99
- Buy New: $2.99