Radcliffe was intrigued by acting at an early age, but his parents initially dismissed his aspirations until 1999, when he played the title character in a British TV-movie of David Copperfield
and won raves for his poised performance. A dead ringer for the fictional wizard Harry Potter (judging by the books' illustrations, at least), Radcliffe soon landed the coveted role in the 2001 film adaptation of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
. The movie was a smashing success, breaking international box-office records and turning him into an instant star and a very rich young man. Radcliffe went on to appear in all of the Potter
films, leaving him little time to pursue outside projects---besides high school. Audiences loved watching this charming adolescent grow up on screen in tandem with his cinematic alter ego. In 2007, in order to differentiate himself from his seminal role, he made a wise career move by appearing in a revival of Equus
on the London stage. His performance as a mentally disturbed teen wowed critics but stunned some of his longtime fans, particularly since one scene required him to appear completely nude. He reprised the role on Broadway in 2008.Daniel Radcliffe Fast Facts:
- Made his first on-screen appearance in the BBC's David Copperfield, playing the title character, in 1999.
- Plays bass guitar.
- Is a fan of Fulham Football Club.
- Likes playing pranks. On the set of one of the Harry Potter films, he took Robbie Coltrane's cell phone and changed the language to Turkish.
- Declared Britain's richest teen in 2005 after signing the contract for the fifth Harry Potter film.
- Nominated for a Drama Desk Award in 2009 for his role as Alan Strang in the Broadway revival of Equus.
- Supports Demelza House Children's Hospice, which cares for terminally ill children, and asks fans to send donations there instead of sending him gifts.
- Has published poetry under the pen name Jacob Gershon.
- Daniel Radcliffe Relationships:
- Alan Radcliffe - Father
- Marcia Gresham - Mother
- Erin Darke - Significant Other
- Rosanne Coker - Ex-significant Other
- Daniel Radcliffe Awards:
- 2014 Canadian Screen Awards: Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role - Nominee