Chris Harrison is Host of TV Guide Network’s daily one-hour entertainment news show, HOLLYWOOD 411. Harrison began his television career by covering local sports in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. The Dallas, Texas native went to Oklahoma City University on a soccer scholarship and then made the natural transition to sportscasting with a local station. During his six years there, he worked his way up the ranks from part-time sportscaster to weekend sportscaster. He also had the opportunity to cover hard news stories, including the 1995 tragedy at the Federal Building, an event which profoundly affected his perspective on life and career.
A visit to L.A. in 1999 for an audition for a horseracing network led to a permanent move. Later that year, Harrison landed the job as host of HGTV's “Designer's Challenge.” Now in its sixth year, it has consistently been one of the network's highest rated shows. In 2001 he became host of ABC's hit romance/reality series “The Bachelor” and “The Bachelorette.”
Harrison continues to advance in the entertainment industry through a variety of professional endeavors. He co-hosted E!'s 2006 coverage of the Academy Awards and the Golden Globes, and this year will co-host the TV Guide Network’s coverage of the 2008 Golden Globes and Oscars. He will continue to host the Citrus Bowl Parade on ABC stations throughout the country in December of this year, an event he also hosted in 2006. In 2004 he hosted the Miss America Pageant for ABC.
The versatile Harrison has done his fair share of acting as well, having garnered roles in the popular television series “Alias,” “The Practice,” “Six Feet Under” and “Sabrina the Teenage Witch.” His feature film appearances include “Bounce,” “Showtime” and, most recently, portraying himself in the comedy “Date Movie.” In his spare time, Harrison still plays soccer and has become addicted to golf. He has developed a great appreciation for the weather and lifestyle of Southern California, and spends as much time as possible outdoors with his college sweetheart and wife of 14 years, Gwen, six-year-old son Joshua and three-year-old daughter Taylor.Chris Harrison Fast Facts:
- Attended Oklahoma City University on a soccer scholarship.
- Was drafted into broadcasting by the university's associate athletic director, who set Harrison up doing play-by-play of college basketball games for a local cable network.
- TV career took off in 1999, when he became lead anchor for Los Angeles-based horse-racing network TVG, then host of HGTV's Designers' Challenge,
- Moved into the national spotlight in 2002, when he was named host of ABC's then-new reality show, The Bachelor.
- Became the host of TV Guide Network's entertainment news series Hollywood 411 in 2008.
- Chris Harrison Relationships:
- Gwen - Wife (separated)
- Taylor - Daughter
- Joshua - Son
- Oklahoma City University, Oklahoma City, OK (BA in Mass Communications, 1993)