Despite her blonde locks and winning smile, this small-screen star is more interested in being funny than sexy. A Florida native, Hines moved to Los Angeles to pursue acting and initially failed to land significant roles, perhaps because of the dichotomy between her traditional good looks and quirky personality. After studying improvisation and sketch comedy at the celebrated Groundlings Theater, she became a member of the performing troupe and began booking guest spots on sitcoms. Her Groundlings training helped her land her signature part as Larry David's pampered and exasperated wife on the offbeat, wince-inducing series Curb Your Enthusiasm
. Her hilarious characterization earned her a 2003 Emmy nod and led to comedic roles on the big screen, including Along Came Polly
(2004) and The Ugly Truth
(2009). Off screen, Hines supports the charity United Cerebral Palsy.Cheryl Hines Fast Facts:
- Once worked as a personal assistant to director Rob Reiner.
- One of her teachers at the Groundlings Theater in Los Angeles was Lisa Kudrow.
- Executive produces the Oxygen Network comedy Campus Ladies.
- Appeared on Celebrity Blackjack in support of the March of Dimes and has participated in events for United Cerebral Palsy, a charity close to her heart because her nephew was diagnosed with cerebral palsy as an infant.
- Cheryl Hines Relationships:
- Catherine Rose Young - Daughter
- Paul Young - Husband (separated)
- Robert F. Kennedy Jr. - Significant Other
- Rosemary Harbolt - Mother
- Cheryl Hines Awards:
- 2003 Emmy: Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series - Nominee
- 2006 Emmy: Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series - Nominee
- 2009 Screen Actors Guild Awards: Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series - Nominee
- 2005 Screen Actors Guild Awards: Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series - Nominee
- Attended West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV; attended Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL; University of Central Florida, Orlando, FL (BA, Radio & Television)