- Studied graphic design in college, but gained an interest in theater by spending time with two actors who ran a pub in his English neighborhood.
- Started his career by joining the Royal Shakespeare Company, and made his debut film appearance in the James Bond picture For Your Eyes Only (1980).
- Gained international notice for playing the lead role in the TV mini-series The Jewel in the Crown (1984).
- Typically takes on film and television roles as assertive bureaucrats or villains.
- Was appointed an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) on June 17, 2006.
- 2006, Emmy — Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie: Nominee
- 2001, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Winner
- 2014, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 2013, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series: Nominee
- 2014, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series: Nominee
- Rebecca Dance — Daughter
- Joanna Haythorn — Ex-wife
- Eleanor Dance — Mother
- Oliver Dance — Son
- Walter Dance — Father
- Eleanor Boorman — Fiancée
- Rose Otilie Aaryanna Dance — Daughter
- Leicester College of Art, Leicester, England; Plymouth College of Art, Plymouth, Devon, England
- Birth Name: Walter Charles Dance
- Birth Place: Redditch, Worshestershire, England
- Profession: Actor, Director, Screenwriter
Trending TonightSee all »
New year calls for a clean slate