Cecil B. De MilleCelebrity
- Began his career as a stage director before he was hired by Jesse L. Lasky for his Lasky Feature Play Company, which eventually evolved into Paramount Pictures.
- Adopted son Richard is really his biological nephew; Richard was born out of wedlock to Cecil's brother, William.
- One of the original founders of the Screen Directors Guild.
- Had a cameo appearance in the film Sunset Boulevard; one of the film's most famous lines is "All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my closeup."
- Defied convention by hiring actor Edward G. Robinson and composer Elmer Bernstein, both part of the Communist blacklist of the 1950s, to work on the film The Ten Commandments.
- Made four remakes of his own movies, including two of the same film, The Squaw Man.
- 1949, Oscar — Special Award: Winner
- 1952, Oscar — Best Achievement in Directing: Nominee
- 1952, Oscar — Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award: Winner
- 1952, Oscar — Best Motion Picture of the Year: Winner
- 1953, Golden Globe — Best Director - Motion Picture: Winner
- Agnes deMille — Sister
- Beatrice Samuel d Mille — Mother
- Katherine DeMille — Daughter
- Henry Churchill deMille — Father
- Richard DeMille — Son
- Agnes de Mille — Niece
- Constance Adams — Wife
- Cecilia DeMille — Daughter
- John deMille — Son
- William C. de Mille — Brother
- Peggy George — Niece
- The American Academy of the Dramatic Arts, New York, NY (1900)
Trending TonightSee all »
By Vestal PressUsually ships in 24 hours Buy New: $24.47 (as of 10:21 PM UTC - more info)
By Running PressUsually ships in 24 hours Buy New: $42.49 (as of 10:21 PM UTC - more info)
By Simon & SchusterUsually ships in 24 hours Buy New: $14.00 (as of 10:21 PM UTC - more info)