Although she did not land her first major movie role until her mid-thirties, this talented actress has had a prolific career that includes Emmy-nominated turns as an FBI agent (The X Files), a surgeon (ER) and a no-nonsense police detective (The Shield). Though often recognized for her high-profile TV work, Pounder has also appeared in numerous film roles, including a part in the 2009 blockbuster Avatar. Off screen, Pounder is involved in a variety of projects and causes: she creates one-of-a-kind jewelry, promotes the creative arts, and is active in the nonprofit organization Artists for a New South Africa, which works to combat the HIV epidemic.
- Grew up on a sugar plantation in British Guyana; attended boarding school in England before moving to Brooklyn, where her parents had settled.
- Married her husband, a Senegalese-born anthropologist, in Dakar, Senegal, where he founded a museum, the Musee Boribana.
- Received a Grammy nomination in 1996 for the spoken-word album Grow Old with Me: The Best Is Yet to Be (recorded with Edward Asner, Ellen Burstyn and Alfre Woodard), but lost to Hillary Rodham Clinton's It Takes a Village.
- Nominated for seven NAACP Image Awards (three times---in 2003, '04 and '06---for The Shield) but has never won.
- Narrated the 2003 PBS documentary series Race: The Power of an Illusion; other voice work includes the movie Aladdin and the King of Thieves and the video game True Crime: Streets of LA.
- Is active in the nonprofit organization Artists for a New South Africa, which battles AIDS and promotes development and democracy.
- 1997, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Nominee
- 1995, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series: Nominee
- 2005, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Nominee
- 2009, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series: Nominee
- Boubacar Kone — Husband
- Ronald Pounder — Father
- Betsy Pounder — Mother
- Shelley Pounder — Sister
- Ithaca College, Ithaca, NY (BFA, 1975)
- Birth Name: Carol Christine Hilaria Pounder
- Birth Place: Georgetown, British Guiana, United Kingdom
- Profession: Actor
Trending TonightSee all »
"We want it to be even better than Season 1," says Chief Jim Hopper