Although she did not land her first major movie role until her mid-thirties, this talented actress has had a prolific career that includes Emmy-nominated turns as an FBI agent (The X Files
), a surgeon (ER
) and a no-nonsense police detective (The Shield
). Though often recognized for her high-profile TV work, Pounder has also appeared in numerous film roles, including a part in the 2009 blockbuster Avatar.
Off screen, Pounder is involved in a variety of projects and causes: she creates one-of-a-kind jewelry, promotes the creative arts, and is active in the nonprofit organization Artists for a New South Africa, which works to combat the HIV epidemic.CCH Pounder Fast Facts:
- Grew up on a sugar plantation in British Guyana; attended boarding school in England before moving to Brooklyn, where her parents had settled.
- Married her husband, a Senegalese-born anthropologist, in Dakar, Senegal, where he founded a museum, the Musee Boribana.
- Received a Grammy nomination in 1996 for the spoken-word album Grow Old with Me: The Best Is Yet to Be (recorded with Edward Asner, Ellen Burstyn and Alfre Woodard), but lost to Hillary Rodham Clinton's It Takes a Village.
- Nominated for seven NAACP Image Awards (three times---in 2003, '04 and '06---for The Shield) but has never won.
- Narrated the 2003 PBS documentary series Race: The Power of an Illusion; other voice work includes the movie Aladdin and the King of Thieves and the video game True Crime: Streets of LA.
- Is active in the nonprofit organization Artists for a New South Africa, which battles AIDS and promotes development and democracy.
- CCH Pounder Relationships:
- Boubacar Kone - Husband
- Shelley Pounder - Sister
- Ronald Pounder - Father
- Betsy Pounder - Mother
- CCH Pounder Awards:
- 2005 Emmy: Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series - Nominee
- 1995 Emmy: Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series - Nominee
- 1997 Emmy: Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series - Nominee
- 2009 Emmy: Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series - Nominee
- Ithaca College, Ithaca, NY (BFA, 1975)