- Began acting at age 7 when she played Mary in a nativity play.
- Waited tables at the Toronto Second City Theatre Company in 1973; joined the troupe in 1974 and quickly replaced Gilda Radner as a regular when Radner left for SNL.
- Became one of the founding members of the sketch-comedy series SCTV in 1976.
- Won a Genie Award for her work in the film The Life Before This (1999).
- Earned an American Comedy Award in 2001 for Funniest Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture for her role in the 2000 mockumentary Best in Show; has appeared in three other Christopher Guest films (Waiting for Guffman, A Mighty Wind and For Your Consideration).
- Was inducted into Canada's Walk of Fame in Toronto in 2007.
- Spoke at the closing ceremonies of the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics.
- Is a singer-songwriter and performed with the group Northern Lights on the song "Tears Are Not Enough" from the 1985 album We Are the World.
- 2010, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or a Movie: Nominee
- 1982, Emmy — Outstanding Writing in a Variety or Music Program: Nominee
- 2004, Critics' Choice Awards — Best Acting Ensemble: Nominee
- 1999, Genie Awards — Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role: Winner
- 2010, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries: Nominee
- 1983, Emmy — Outstanding Writing in a Variety or Music Program: Nominee
- 2007, Critics' Choice Awards — Best Supporting Actress: Nominee
- 2007, Independent Spirit Awards — Best Female Lead: Nominee
- 1982, Emmy — Outstanding Writing in a Variety or Music Program: Winner
- Patsy — Sister
- Maureen — Sister
- Matthew — Son
- Dylan — Son
- Mary Margaret O'Hara — Sister
- Marcus — Brother
- Bo Welch — Husband
Next On TVSee all »
- Birth Name: Catherine Anne O'Hara
- Birth Place: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Profession: Actor, Director, Writer, Comedian
Trending TonightSee all »
Who will be eliminated first from Dancing with the Stars?