- Began appearing in her mother's Las Vegas act at the age of 12.
- Made her film debut in Shampoo (1975).
- Penned several bestsellers, including Postcards From the Edge and Surrender the Pink. She won the Los Angeles Pen Award for Best First Novel for Postcards.
- Spoke publicly about her battles with drug addiction and bipolar disorder; also revealed that she had undergone electroshock therapy.
- Addressed state legislators about mental-health issues.
- Wrote and performed a one-woman play, Wishful Drinking, beginning in L.A. in 2006; it eventually opened on Broadway. A book of the same name followed in 2008.
- 2008, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 1991, BAFTA Film Awards — Best Adapted Screenplay: Nominee
- 2011, Emmy — Outstanding Variety, Music or Comedy Special: Nominee
- Joely Fisher — Half Sister
- Tricia Leigh Fisher — Half Sister
- Dan Aykroyd — Ex-fiancé
- Todd Fisher — Brother
- Debbie Reynolds — Mother
- Billie Lourd — Daughter
- Eddie Fisher — Father
- Paul Simon — Ex-husband
- Bryan Lourd — Ex-significant Other
- Attended Central School of Speech and Drama, London, England
- Birth Name: Carrie Frances Fisher
- Birth Place: Los Angeles, California, United States
- Died: December 27, 2016
- Profession: Actor, Screenwriter, Novelist, TV host
Trending TonightSee all »
Bring a tissue
By Independently publishedBuy New: $9.97
By HBOBuy New: $14.98
By Charlie Rose, Inc.Buy New: $24.95