- Started playing the piano at the age of 4.
- Formed first vocal quartet, the Co-Sines, while still in high school.
- Met future husband Gerry Goffin while attending Queens College; they formed a songwriting partnership and churned out more than 400 songs that have been recorded by more than 1000 artists.
- Scored her first Top 10 hit in 1961, titled "It Might As Well Rain Until September," a tune cowritten with Goffin.
- Released first album in 1970, titled Writer.
- Her 1971 album Tapestry spawned several hits, including "I Feel the Earth Move," "So Far Away" and her own version of "You've Got a Friend."
- In 1983, took a break from recording, moved to Idaho, and became an environmental activist; she returned to music six years later with City Streets.
- Appeared in a 1988 off-Broadway production of A Minor Incident.
- With Goffin, was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1987 and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1990.
- Released her first-ever holiday album, A Holiday Carole, in November 2011.
- Published her memoir, A Natural Woman, in April 2012, and it made the New York Times best-sellers list.
- Is an advocate and cofounder of the White Cloud Council, an environmental conservation group.
- 1971, Grammy — Song of the Year: Winner
- 2014, Grammy — Best Musical Theater Album: Winner
- 1971, Grammy — Album of the Year: Winner
- 1971, Grammy — Record of the Year: Winner
- 1971, Grammy — Best Female Pop Vocal Performance: Winner
- 2000, Emmy — Outstanding Music and Lyrics: Nominee
- Levi Larkey — Son
- Sidney Klein — Father
- Eugenia Gingold — Mother
- Gerry Goffin — Ex-husband
- Rick Evers — Husband (deceased)
- Molly Larkey — Daughter
- Charles Larkey — Ex-husband
- Louise Goffin — Daughter
- Sherry Goffin Kondor — Daughter
- Attended City University of New York, Queens College, Queens, New York, United States
Next On TVSee all »
- Birth Name: Carol Joan Klein
- Birth Place: Brooklyn, New York, United States
- Profession: Singer, Songwriter, Lyricist, Composer, Actor
Trending TonightSee all »
Tangled, Grimm and more!