- Lived with her family in Paris for a year and learned to speak fluent French.
- Began her theater career in 1966 in the off-Broadway and national touring-company productions of The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie.
- Debuted on Broadway in a 1972 production of Ring Around the Bath Tub.
- Studied Yiddish in order to land the role of Gitl in Joan Micklin Silver's drama Hester Street (1975).
- Best-known for playing Simka Gravas, the wife of Andy Kaufman's Latka, on Taxi.
- Began a stint as Madame Morrible in the Broadway musical Wicked in early 2006.
- In 2011, appeared alongside Ellen Burstyn in the West End production of Lillian Hellman's The Children's Hour.
- 1996, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actress for a Drama Series: Nominee
- 1983, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: Nominee
- 1982, Emmy — Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series: Winner
- 1975, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 1983, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy, Variety or Music Series: Winner
- Michael Kane — Father
- Joy Kane — Mother
- Anina — Sister
- Birth Name: Carolyn Laurie Kane
- Birth Place: Cleveland, Ohio, United States
- Birthday: June 18, 1952, Gemini
- Profession: Actor
Trending TonightSee all »
Everyone's most recent TV obsession was the hot topic on the Emmys red carpet