- Served in the U.S. Army 1942-46. On the way to Iwo Jima from Hawaii, he was assigned to Maurice Evans' Special Entertainment Unit and toured the Pacific as a comedian in GI revues.
- Allen Ludden of Password fame was once his captain.
- Originally created the role of comedy writer Rob Petrie for himself in Head of the Family. Ultimately he was replaced by Dick Van Dyke and the series was retitled The Dick Van Dyke Show.
- Won an Emmy in 1995 for playing Alan Brady on Mad About You but was never nominated for the role on The Dick Van Dyke Show.
- Received the Kennedy Center Mark Twain Prize for American Humor in 1999.
- In 2003, wrote a children's book, Tell Me a Scary Story... But Not Too Scary!
- Lent his voice to the role of Santa Claus in the 2009 Christmas special Merry Madagascar.
- Played Betty White's blind date in a 2010 episode of Hot in Cleveland.
- 1967, Emmy — Outstanding Writing Achievement in Variety: Winner
- 1956, Emmy — Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Nominee
- 1966, Emmy — Outstanding Comedy Series: Winner
- 2000, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 1957, Emmy — Best Supporting Performance by an Actor: Winner
- 2002, Critics' Choice Awards — Best Acting Ensemble: Nominee
- 1995, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series: Winner
- 1965, Emmy — Outstanding Individual Achievements in Entertainment: Nominee
- 1954, Emmy — Best Series Supporting Actor: Nominee
- 1964, Writers Guild Awards — Comedy: Nominee
- 1958, Emmy — Best Continuing Supporting Performance by an Actor in a Dramatic or Comedy Series: Winner
- 1965, Emmy — Outstanding Program Achievements in Entertainment: Winner
- 1963, Emmy — Outstanding Writing Achievement in Comedy: Winner
- 1966, Emmy — Special Classifications of Individual Achievements: Nominee
- 1962, Emmy — Outstanding Writing Achievement in Comedy: Winner
- 2004, Emmy — Outstanding Special Class Program: Nominee
- 1964, Emmy — Outstanding Writing Achievement in Comedy or Variety: Winner
- 2006, Directors Guild of America Awards — Honorary Life Member: Winner
- 1998, Grammy — Best Spoken Comedy Album: Winner
- 2005, Critics' Choice Awards — Best Acting Ensemble: Nominee
- Rob Reiner — Son
- Bessie Reiner — Mother
- Charles Reiner — Brother
- Sylvia Anne Reiner — Daughter
- Lucas Reiner — Son
- Estelle Reiner — Wife (deceased)
- Irving Reiner — Father
- Attended Georgetown University, Washington, DC
- Birth Place: Bronx, NY
- Profession: Actor, Writer, Director, Producer
Trending TonightSee all »
See who made the cut!
80: From Ben Bradlee to Lena Horne to Carl Reiner, Our Most Famous Eighty Year Olds, Reveal Why They Never Felt So Young
By SourcebooksBuy New: $25.10
Charlie Rose with Rick Pitino, Mike Lupica & Dean Smith; Carl Reiner & Mel Brooks; Vera Wang (October 9, 1997)
By Charlie RoseBuy New: $24.95
By Columbia HouseBuy New: $10.00