- Served in the U.S. Army 1942-46. On the way to Iwo Jima from Hawaii, he was assigned to Maurice Evans' Special Entertainment Unit and toured the Pacific as a comedian in GI revues.
- Allen Ludden of Password fame was once his captain.
- Originally created the role of comedy writer Rob Petrie for himself in Head of the Family. Ultimately he was replaced by Dick Van Dyke and the series was retitled The Dick Van Dyke Show.
- Won an Emmy in 1995 for playing Alan Brady on Mad About You but was never nominated for the role on The Dick Van Dyke Show.
- Received the Kennedy Center Mark Twain Prize for American Humor in 1999.
- In 2003, wrote a children's book, Tell Me a Scary Story... But Not Too Scary!
- Lent his voice to the role of Santa Claus in the 2009 Christmas special Merry Madagascar.
- Played Betty White's blind date in a 2010 episode of Hot in Cleveland.
- 2004, Emmy — Outstanding Special Class Program: Nominee
- 1962, Emmy — Outstanding Writing Achievement in Comedy: Winner
- 1966, Emmy — Outstanding Comedy Series: Winner
- 2006, Directors Guild of America Awards — Honorary Life Member: Winner
- 1965, Emmy — Outstanding Individual Achievements in Entertainment: Nominee
- 1958, Emmy — Best Continuing Supporting Performance by an Actor in a Dramatic or Comedy Series: Winner
- 1998, Grammy — Best Spoken Comedy Album: Winner
- 2000, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 2005, Critics' Choice Awards — Best Acting Ensemble: Nominee
- 1963, Emmy — Outstanding Writing Achievement in Comedy: Winner
- 1966, Emmy — Special Classifications of Individual Achievements: Nominee
- 2002, Critics' Choice Awards — Best Acting Ensemble: Nominee
- 1964, Writers Guild Awards — Comedy: Nominee
- 1956, Emmy — Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Nominee
- 1964, Emmy — Outstanding Writing Achievement in Comedy or Variety: Winner
- 1954, Emmy — Best Series Supporting Actor: Nominee
- 1995, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series: Winner
- 1965, Emmy — Outstanding Program Achievements in Entertainment: Winner
- 1967, Emmy — Outstanding Writing Achievement in Variety: Winner
- 1957, Emmy — Best Supporting Performance by an Actor: Winner
- Bessie Reiner — Mother
- Charles Reiner — Brother
- Rob Reiner — Son
- Sylvia Anne Reiner — Daughter
- Irving Reiner — Father
- Lucas Reiner — Son
- Estelle Reiner — Wife (deceased)
- Attended Georgetown University, Washington, DC
Next On TVSee all »
- Birth Place: Bronx, NY
- Profession: Actor, Writer, Director, Producer
Trending TonightSee all »
Take the help, Reid
By Columbia HouseBuy New: $0.98
By Rhino RecordsBuy New: $10.98
Charlie Rose with Rick Pitino, Mike Lupica & Dean Smith; Carl Reiner & Mel Brooks; Vera Wang (October 9, 1997)
By Charlie RoseBuy New: $24.95