Boasting stunning looks and an adorably goofy persona, Cameron Diaz began her career as a globe-trotting teen model before bursting onto the movie scene as a torch-singing sexpot opposite Jim Carrey in 1994's The Mask
. The loopy comedy was Diaz's first acting job and it made her an instant star. Over the next few years, Diaz honed her acting chops in low-budget indie flicks (She's the One
; Feeling Minnesota
) and then was cast in the Julia Roberts blockbuster My Best Friend's Wedding,
and she all but stole the film away from America's then-reigning movie sweetheart. In 1998, Diaz graduated to leading lady in the outrageous romantic comedy There's Something About Mary
, which not only won her a legion of new fans but netted her a best actress award from the prestigious New York Film Critics Circle. Subsequently, Diaz took on a number of serious roles, including a homely (now that's
acting!) wife in Being John Malkovich
and a 19th-century pickpocket in Martin Scorsese's Gangs of New York
, but she never fully abandoned her silly side. Charlie's Angels
, released in 2000, was critically panned but put to good use her striking appearance and comic sensibilities, and further elevated her star status. Younger viewers fell for the California beauty---who has been romantically involved with such celebrity hunks as Matt Dillon and Justin Timberlake---in a different way when she voiced Princess Fiona in the beloved animated fairy tale Shrek
and its sequels. In 2009, Diaz reunited with Tom Cruise for the romantic thriller Knight and Day
, their first screen pairing since the 2001 mind-bender Vanilla Sky
. It was slated for 2010 release.Cameron Diaz Fast Facts:
- Of Cuban and Native American descent.
- Started working as a model at 16.
- Named 1996 Female Star of Tomorrow by the National Theatre Owners Association for her movie debut in The Mask.
- Named one of the 50 Most Beautiful People in the World by People magazine in 1998.
- Was paid $20 million for the 2003 film Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle.
- Nose has been broken four times.
- Won a civil suit in 2006 against a photographer who tried to get $3.5 million from her for racy photos he took of her when she was 19. He also received a sentence of close to three years on charges including forgery and attempted grand larceny related to the incident.
- Forbes magazine in 2008 named her Hollywood's highest-paid actress.
- Has been active in raising awareness of veterans' issues related to the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.
- Cameron Diaz Relationships:
- Emilio Diaz - Father
- Jared Leto - Ex-fiancé
- Chimene Diaz - Sister
- Justin Timberlake - Ex-significant Other
- Billie Diaz - Mother
- Paul Sculfor - Ex-significant Other
- Matt Dillon - Ex-significant Other
- Alex Rodriguez - Ex-significant Other
- Cameron Diaz Awards:
- 2003 Golden Globe: Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture - Nominee
- 2000 Golden Globe: Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture - Nominee
- 1999 Golden Globe: Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy - Nominee
- 2007 People's Choice Awards: Favorite Leading Lady - Winner
- 1999 BAFTA Awards: Best Actress in a Supporting Role - Nominee
- 1999 Screen Actors Guild Awards: Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture - Nominee
- 1999 Screen Actors Guild Awards: Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role - Nominee
- 2002 Golden Globe: Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture - Nominee
- 2001 Screen Actors Guild Awards: Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role - Nominee