- Grew up in Kentucky.
- Majored in drama at college and studied acting at the Lee Strasberg Theatre & Film Institute in California.
- Worked in film production, producing commercials and music videos.
- While working as a secretary, wrote Thelma & Louise (1991), her debut screenplay.
- Named one of Glamour magazine's Top 10 Women of the Year in 1991.
- In 2005, received the Horton Foote Award for Special Achievement in Screenwriting.
- Prior to creating the TV series Nashville in 2012, she had a history with the city: As a child, she visited relatives who lived there, and she lived there herself from 1978 to 1982.
- 1992, BAFTA Film Awards — Best Original Screenplay: Nominee
- 1992, Golden Globe — Best Screenplay - Motion Picture: Winner
- 1992, Writers Guild Awards — Original Screenplay: Winner
- 1991, Oscar — Best Writing (Original Screenplay): Winner
- T-Bone Burnett — Husband
- Attended Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN
Next On TVSee all »
- Birth Name: Carolyn Ann Khouri
- Birth Place: San Antonio, TX
- Profession: Screenwriter, Director, Producer
Trending TonightSee all »
New year calls for a clean slate