The daughter of Oscar-winning director Ron Howard, this delicate redhead opted not to coast on her Hollywood pedigree, dropping her last name when applying to drama school. Although she enrolled in the prestigious acting department at New York University, she soon left in order to tackle professional stage roles. It was during an off-Broadway revival of Shakespeare's As You Like It
that film director M. Night Shyamalan caught her act and tapped her to replace Kirsten Dunst in 2004's The Village
. Glowing reviews led to other major roles in films such as Spider-Man 3
(2007), Terminator Salvation
(2009) and The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
(2010). Howard married fellow actor Seth Gabel in 2006 and gave birth to a son in 2007. Bryce Dallas Howard Fast Facts:
- Named in part for Utah's Bryce Canyon (the actress is a redhead; the canyon is known for its red rocks) and Dallas, the city where she was conceived.
- Attended Stagedoor Manor Performing Arts camp with Natalie Portman.
- Went strictly by Bryce Dallas when first applying to drama school to avoid references to her famous father.
- Did not see episodes of her father's hit sitcom Happy Days until the age of 24. Henry Winkler is her godfather.
- Replaced Kirsten Dunst (in The Village) Nicole Kidman (in Manderlay) and Rachelle LeFevre (in The Twilight Saga: Eclipse) to play three of her most prominent roles.
- Bryce Dallas Howard Relationships:
- Clint Howard - Uncle
- Reed Howard - Brother
- Paige Carlyle Howard - Sister
- Rance Howard - Grandfather
- Seth Gabel - Husband
- Theodore Norman Howard Gabel - Son
- Cheryl Howard - Mother
- Jean Speegle Howard - Grandmother
- Jocelyn Carlyle Howard - Sister
- Ron Howard - Father
- Henry Winkler - Godparent
- Beatrice Jean Howard-Gabel - Daughter
- Bryce Dallas Howard Awards:
- 2008 Golden Globe: Best Performance by an Actress in a Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television - Nominee
- 2011 Screen Actors Guild Awards: Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture - Winner
- Attended New York University, New York, NY