- Started his college basketball career at the age of 16.
- Named first-team All-ACC twice at North Carolina, where he teamed with Michael Jordan. Also named to the ACC's 50th Anniversary Team.
- Selected first overall in the 1986 NBA Draft by the Cleveland Cavaliers.
- Wore No. 43 both in high school and in the NBA in honor of NASCAR legend Richard Petty, whom Daugherty met at Daytona International Speedway as a youngster. The jersey number was retired by the Cavaliers in 1997.
- In 1987, he co-founded a racing team that went on to garner a 1989 NASCAR Busch Series win by Robert Pressley.
- Inducted into the North Carolina Sports Hall of Fame in 2001.
- Held the Cavaliers' all-time scoring record (10,389) from his final game in 1994 until 2008, when LeBron James soared past the mark in only his fifth season. Daugherty also held the team's all-time rebounding mark (5227) until 2008, when Zydrunas Ilgauskas surpassed it.
- Heidi Rost Daugherty — Wife
- University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC (1986, BA in Mass Communication)
- Birth Place: Black Mountain, NC
- Birthday: October 19, 1965, Libra
- Profession: NASCAR analyst, Former NBA player