- Because his family traveled so much, he estimates that he went to 12 different grade schools and middle schools.
- Credits a high-school English teacher with sparking his interest in theater.
- Has narrated more than 50 audio books.
- With his 2007 Tony nod for Journey's End, he became the first performer to be nominated in all four categories for which actors qualify.
- In his acceptance speech for his first Tony (The Heidi Chronicles), he thanked Victor Garber "for not taking this part."
- Nickname is Bird.
- 1989, Tony — Actor (Featured Role--Play): Winner
- 2000, Tony — Actor (Featured Role--Musical): Winner
- 2008, Tony — Actor (Featured Role--Musical): Winner
- 2007, Tony — Actor (Play): Nominee
- 1994, Tony — Actor (Musical): Winner
- Kathleen McNenny — Wife
- James Gaines — Father
- Leslie Victoria Gaines — Daughter
- Ida Gaines — Mother
- Attended the Pacific Conservatory of Performing Arts, Allan Hancock College, Santa Maria, CA; The Juilliard School, New York, NY
Season 5, Episode 16
- Birth Name: Boyd Payne Gaines
- Birth Place: Atlanta, GA
- Birthday: May 11, 1953, Taurus
- Profession: Actor
- User Rating:
- Your Rating: