Although Woodruff was known for reporting the news, he became the news on January 29, 2006, when he was seriously injured by a roadside bomb while covering the war in Iraq. Originally a lawyer, Woodruff switched his focus to journalism in the late '80s and quickly moved up the ranks with his good looks, tight delivery and dedication to sniffing out stories. After covering a variety of high-profile stories for ABC, including the Asian tsunami and the turmoil in the Middle East, Woodruff was rewarded with a coanchor spot on ABC World News Tonight in January 2006. A few weeks later, Woodruff's career path — and entire life — changed. After a long and painful recovery, he returned to ABC News in February 2007 with the special To Iraq and Back, chronicling his rehabilitation. He also released the book In an Instant, coauthored by his wife. Unfortunately Woodruff clearly wasn't 100 percent — he often struggled for words — and his future as a newsman remained unclear.
- Played lacrosse for four years at Colgate and finished as the school's all-time leading scorer with 184 points.
- Left his job as a lawyer in New York to teach law in Beijing using his fluency in Mandarin.
- Hired by Dan Rather as a translator to help CBS's coverage of the Tiananmen Square demonstrations in 1989.
- Honored with the Alfred I. Dupont Award and the George Foster Peabody Award for his reporting.
- Selected as replacement for the late Peter Jennings on ABC World News Tonight in January 2006, along with Elizabeth Vargas.
- Cameraman Doug Vogt was hurt by the same roadside bomb that seriously injured Woodruff in Iraq in January 2006.
- Cathryn Woodruff — Daughter
- Fran Woodruff — Mother
- Macklin Woodruff — Son
- Claire Woodruff — Daughter
- Lee Woodruff — Wife
- Nora Woodruff — Daughter
- David Woodruff — Brother
- Robert Woodruff — Father
- Colgate University, Hamilton, NY (BA in English, 1983); University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI (law degree, 1987)
- Birth Name: Robert Woodruff
- Birth Place: Michigan
- Birthday: April 19, 1961,
- Profession: News anchor
- User Rating: