With his spiky blond tips and dry sense of humor, this beatbox champion proved he was also a strong vocalist when he made it to the final 12 on Season 6 of American Idol
. Singing since age 5, he performed with the Columbia Boys Choir in junior high and even toured Europe with the outfit. At 17 he took up beatboxing under the moniker BShorty, but he never abandoned his first love, honing his vocal skills in the a cappella group KickShaw, until AI
put him in the national spotlight. Lewis upped his game every week, tackling contemporary arrangements and courting the teen-girl set. His strategy paid off with a second-place finish behind winner Jordin Sparks. Lewis released his first solo album, "Audio Day Dream," in 2007 and followed up in 2009 with "Heartbreak on Vinyl."Blake Lewis Fast Facts:
- Mother is a former rocker who still sings and plays guitar.
- Began to sing at the age of 5; started beatboxing when he was 17.
- Going by the name BShorty, became the national beatbox champion.
- Runner-up for Season 6 of American Idol (2007); winner was Jordin Sparks.
- Released his first single, "Break Anotha," in October 2007.
- Blake Lewis Relationships:
- Dinah Lewis - Mother
- Dallas Lewis - Father