- Father was imprisoned at the Dachau concentration camp during WWII.
- Did not graduate from high school with his class in 1967 because he was short one credit in English; received his diploma in 1992 after the requirement was waived.
- Is honored at Madison Square Garden with the number 12 hanging from the rafters, referring to his record 12 sold-out shows in the arena in 2006.
- Released a collection of classical piano compositions, Fantasies & Delusions, in 2001.
- Wrote the children's book Goodnight, My Angel: A Lullabye in 2004.
- Broadway's Movin' Out is based on his music.
- Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1999.
- Has teamed up with Elton John to perform their Face to Face tours several times over the years, beginning in 1994.
- 1979, Grammy — Best Male Pop Vocal Performance: Winner
- 1979, Grammy — Album of the Year: Winner
- 2002, Emmy — Outstanding Individual Performance in a Variety or Music Program: Nominee
- 2003, Tony — Orchestrations: Winner
- 1979, People's Choice Awards — Favorite Male Musical Performer: Winner
- 1980, Grammy — Best Male Rock Vocal Performance: Winner
- 1978, Grammy — Record of the Year: Winner
- 1978, Grammy — Song of the Year: Winner
- Howard Joel — Father
- Elizabeth Webber — Ex-wife
- Judy — Sister
- Katie Lee — Ex-wife
- Alexa Ray Joel — Daughter
- Rosalind Nyman Joel — Mother
- Christie Brinkley — Ex-wife
- Alexander Joel — Half Brother
Trending TonightSee all »
By Hal LeonardUsually ships in 24 hours Buy New: $17.24 (as of 10:13 PM UTC - more info)
By Hal LeonardUsually ships in 24 hours Buy New: $23.21 (as of 10:13 PM UTC - more info)
By Hal LeonardUsually ships in 24 hours Buy New: $12.23 (as of 10:13 PM UTC - more info)