With stunning looks, a glamorous style and pop-star status, it was inevitable that this diva would eventually try her hand at acting. And while she's fared pretty well, it remains to be seen whether Knowles can actually act or just play characters that also sing. After topping the charts as part of the award-winning R&B trio Destiny's Child, she struck out on her own and scored a string of solo hits, often collaborating with rapper boyfriend Jay-Z, who became her husband in 2008. She made her acting debut on the small screen in Carmen: A Hip Hopera
and quickly moved on to features with spirited turns in the comedies Austin Powers in Goldmember
and The Pink Panther
. But the diamond in her tiara was winning the lead in the highly anticipated film adaptation of the musical Dreamgirls
, which earned her a Golden Globe nod. In 2008, she took on the role of Etta James in Cadillac Records
and earned some of the best film reviews of her career. However, her major accolades have been reserved for her work in music, and she made Grammy history in January 2010 when she became the first female artist to win six Grammys in one evening. Beyoncé Knowles Fast Facts:
- Began performing at age 7.
- Performed on Star Search in the early 1990s with the group Girls Tyme (which eventually became Destiny's Child) and received only three out of five stars.
- Has referred to Destiny's Child member Kelly Rowland as her "cousin" in interviews since Kelly lived with the Knowles family in Houston as an adolescent.
- Replaced Britney Spears as Pepsi spokeswoman in 2002.
- Launched clothing line House of Deréon with her mother in July 2005 in memory of her late grandmother.
- Became the first nonsupermodel or nonathlete to appear on the cover of Sports Illustrated's swimsuit issue in 2007.
- Sang "At Last" for Barack and Michelle Obama's first dance on inauguration night 2009.
- Beyoncé Knowles Relationships:
- Kelly Rowland - Cousin
- Solange Knowles - Sister
- Jay Z - Husband
- Tina Knowles - Mother
- Mathew Knowles - Father
- Nixon - Half Brother
- Blue Ivy Carter - Daughter
- Beyoncé Knowles Awards:
- 2000 Grammy: Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals - Winner
- 2000 Grammy: Best R&B Song - Winner
- 2005 Grammy: Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals - Winner
- 2001 Grammy: Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals - Winner
- 2003 Grammy: Best R&B Song - Winner
- 2006 Grammy: Best Contemporary R&B Album - Winner
- 2003 Grammy: Best Female R&B Vocal Performance - Winner
- 2007 Golden Globe: Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy - Nominee
- 2007 Golden Globe: Best Original Song - Motion Picture - Nominee
- 2003 Grammy: Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals - Winner
- 2003 Grammy: Best Rap/Sung Collaboration - Winner
- 2004 People's Choice Awards: Favorite Female Musical Performer - Winner
- 2009 Golden Globe: Best Original Song - Motion Picture - Nominee
- 2009 Grammy: Song of the Year - Winner
- 2009 Grammy: Best Female Pop Vocal Performance - Winner
- 2009 Grammy: Best R&B Song - Winner
- 2009 Grammy: Best Female R&B Vocal Performance - Winner
- 2009 Grammy: Best Contemporary R&B Album - Winner
- 2009 Grammy: Best Traditional R&B Vocal Performance - Winner
- 2013 Emmy: Outstanding Special Class - Short-Format Live-Action Entertainment Programs - Nominee
- 2006 Screen Actors Guild Awards: Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture - Nominee
- 2012 Grammy: Best Traditional R&B Performance - Winner
- 2003 Grammy: Best Contemporary R&B Album - Winner