- Was in the same grade as journalist Carl Bernstein in high school; Goldie Hawn was one year behind them.
- In the 1970s, worked as a speech writer and lawyer for presidents Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford.
- Early big-screen roles included small parts in the comedies Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Planes, Trains and Automobiles.
- Beginning in 1997, hosted the Daytime-Emmy-winning Comedy Central quiz show Win Ben Stein's Money for several years.
- Has written columns for a number of major publications, including The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times and The American Spectator.
- Has authored, co-authored and published dozens of fiction and nonfiction books.
- Herbert Stein — Father
- Mildred Stein — Mother
- Tommy Stein — Son
- Rachel Stein — Sister
- Alexandra Denman — Wife
- Columbia University, New York, New York, United States (1966); Yale University, Yale Law School, New Haven, Connecticut, United States (1970)