Reminiscent of other gamine European beauties such as Leslie Caron and Audrey Hepburn, Tautou was already a well-known, award-winning actress in her homeland when she shot to international stardom as the title character in the quirky 2001 romantic comedy Amélie
. Although she had made her name as an adorable ingénue, she changed her image somewhat for her first English-language film, the 2002 thriller Dirty Pretty Things
set in a seedy hotel. Tautou continued to work steadily in her native country, but Tinseltown was constantly calling and in 2006 she made her big Hollywood debut in The Da Vinci Code
. Although the film was a box-office success, it wasn't a hit with critics. This prompted the actress to return to her Gallic roots with a number of French films, most notably 2009's Coco Before Chanel
.Audrey Tautou Fast Facts:
- Learned to play the oboe and piano as a child.
- Wanted to study monkeys as a career until her teens.
- Received career-making role in Amelie after Emily Watson backed out. Director Jean-Pierre Jeunet cast her for the film after seeing her face on a poster for the French film Venus Beauty Institute.
- Learned to speak English for the 2002 film Dirty Pretty Things.
- Takes and collects photographs of the reporters who interview her.
- While filming The Da Vinci Code, convinced director Ron Howard to grow a beard.
- Named the face of Chanel No. 5 perfume in 2008, replacing Nicole Kidman.
- Audrey Tautou Relationships:
- Lance Mazmanian - Ex-fiancé
- Mathieu Chédid - Ex-significant Other
- Bernard Tautou - Father
- Evelyne Tautou - Mother
- Audrey Tautou Awards:
- 2005 César Awards: Best Actress - Nominee
- 2010 César Awards: Best Actress - Nominee
- 2001 European Film Awards: European Actress - Nominee
- 2005 European Film Awards: European Actress - Nominee
- 2002 César Awards: Best Actress - Nominee
- 2000 César Awards: Most Promising Actress - Winner
- 2009 BAFTA Film Awards: Best Leading Actress - Nominee
- 2001 BAFTA Film Awards: Best Actress in a Leading Role - Nominee
- Attended the Cours Florent, Paris, France