- Danced in the 1989 Disney TV-movie Polly; which was directed and choreographed by Debbie Allen.
- Signed her first recording contract with Jive records at the age of 14, but ended their relationship after a year.
- Was offered a track scholarship to Hampton University but turned it down to pursue her career as a recording artist.
- In 2002, became the first artist since the Beatles to have three singles on the Billboard Top 10 chart at the same time.
- Received the 2002 Soul Train Aretha Franklin Award for Entertainer of the Year, which sparked controversy: a petition started by a California high-school student was signed by 30,000 people, who agreed that she was too new to deserve the award.
- Received a key to the city of Glen Cove, NY, and May 3, 2003, was declared Ashanti Douglas Day by Nassau County.
- Launched a perfume line in 2005 called Precious Jewel.
- Her 2008 The Declaration CD made three of Billboard's Top 10 charts.
- Took part in the "Stand Up to Cancer" fund-raising effort and TV special in 2008, and was among the artists who recorded a CD single for the drive.
- The following year, she was dropped from her record label, The Inc., as label head Irv Gotti cited professional differences between the two.
- Also in 2009, she made her stage debut when she joined the cast of The Wiz. She portrayed Dorothy.
- 2002, Grammy — Best Contemporary R&B Album: Winner
- Kincaid Douglas — Father
- Tina Douglas — Mother
- Kenashia Douglas — Sister
- Nelly — Ex-significant Other
Trending TonightSee all »
By International Home VideoBuy New: $12.88
By Colossus BooksBuy New: $15.73
By Universal Music & Video Distribution / Sunset Home Visual Entertainment (SHE)Buy New: $7.99
- 1. Grey's Anatomy: Arizona & Alex: The First Flight
- 2. Desperate Housewives: Actors Picking up Character Traits
- 3. Mistresses: Toni Seduces Dom While Savi's Away
- 4. Empire: Pilot
- 5. American Idol: Top 9 Perform
- 6. The Vampire Diaries: A Bird in a Gilded Cage
- 7. Pretty Little Liars: EscApe from New York