- Is the cousin of Henry Heimlich, the physician who invented the Heimlich maneuver.
- Sang and danced alongside John Amos in a 1971 McDonald's commercial.
- Transitioned from acting to behind-the-scenes jobs such as writing and producing, and in 1985 he took the advice of his Happy Days costar Ron Howard and began directing.
- After getting exposure as a singer on Happy Days, he embarked on a singing career, releasing a single and co-headlining shows in Las Vegas and Reno.
- Opened a chain of diners called Big Al's with his former Happy Days costar Al Molinaro.
- Founded Physicians Prefer, a company devoted to creating drug-free products, and Starmaker Products, a cosmetics company.
- Has five daughters.
- 1983, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: Nominee
- Jackie Gerken — Wife
- Lorrie Mahaffey — Ex-wife
- Hannah Lily — Daughter
- Attended Los Angeles Pierce College, Los Angeles, CA