- At age 3, started taking dance lessons at her mother's dance school in Houston.
- Joined The Danny Kaye Show as a professional dancer when she was 16.
- First acting gig was a guest-starring role on a 1970 episode of Gunsmoke.
- Made feature-film debut as a scheming beauty-pageant contestant in the 1975 comedy Smile.
- Played country singer Tammy Wynette in the 1981 TV movie Stand by Your Man.
- Was cast as Clark Kent's high school sweetheart Lana Lang in 1983's Superman III opposite Christopher Reeve; and then as Clark's adoptive mother Martha Kent in the 2001 TV series Smallville.
- Landed guest-starring roles with husband Michael McKean in a number of TV series, including a 1999 episode of Boy Meets World and a 2000 episode of Law & Order.
- Cowrote, with husband McKean, an Oscar-nominated song (the second they had ever written together) for the Christopher Guest musical mockumentary A Mighty Wind (2003).
- In 2011, starred in Southern Comfort, a musical based on a Sundance award-winning documentary about Georgian transgender friends; the New York Times praised her "moving performance."
- Appeared on The Finder in 2012 as Eileen Sherman, Walter's mother.
- 1991, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: Nominee
- 1990, Emmy — Outstanding Lead Actress in a Miniseries or Special: Nominee
- 2003, Oscar — Best Achievement in Music (Original Song): Nominee
- Bill Geisslinger — Ex-husband
- Nell Geisslinger — Daughter
- Anna Geisslinger — Daughter
- Michael McKean — Husband
- Attended University of California, Los Angeles, CA
Next On TVSee all »
- Birth Place: Houston, TX
- Birthday: April 1, 1952, Aries
- Profession: Actor, Writer, Songwriter, Producer
Trending TonightSee all »
And one of Judith Light's most embarrassing moments
By Feature Films for FamiliesBuy New: $26.99