- Her father was a foreign correspondent for the Daily Telegraph, leading her to travel abroad occasionally to spend time with her parents in India, Tehran and Beirut.
- Spent ten years on landmark British soap opera, Coronation Street, before leaving in 1971.
- Filmed scenes for Love Actually (2003), playing a headmistress tending to her dying partner, but her scenes were ultimately cut from the film.
- Played Jack's mother in Into the Woods at the Royal Opera House in London in 2007.
- Appointed an MBE (Member of the Order of the British Empire) in 2010.
- 2003, BAFTA Film Awards — Best Actress in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 2003, European Film Awards — European Actress: Nominee
- 2006, Olivier Awards — Best Performance in a Supporting Role: Nominee
- Colin Reid — Father
- Annie Reid — Mother
- Peter Eckersley — Husband (deceased)
- Mark Eckersley — Son
- Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts, London, England
Trending TonightSee all »
- 1. Grey's Anatomy: Arizona & Alex: The First Flight
- 2. Desperate Housewives: Actors Picking up Character Traits
- 3. Mistresses: Toni Seduces Dom While Savi's Away
- 4. Empire: Pilot
- 5. Scandal: Randy, Red, Superfreak and Julia
- 6. Dancing With The Stars: Week 1
- 7. The Vampire Diaries: A Bird in a Gilded Cage