- Shared a house in Flatbush with her father and her father's sister after her mother's suicide in 1940.
- Studied acting under Uta Hagan and at the New School's Dramatic Workshop before beginning her career in summer stock in 1948.
- Met comedy partner and husband Jerry Stiller in 1953, after both were turned down by the same theatrical agent. They got married 2 months after meeting and stayed married for 61 years.
- Born Catholic but converted to Judaism after the birth of her daughter Amy.
- Jerry Stiller had to convince her to move away from dramatic acting in favor of comedy. Their duo Stiller & Meara developed while at Chicago's The Compass Players, a cabaret that preceded The Second City improv troupe.
- Much of the humor in Stiller & Meara's act came from the difference in their ethnic backgrounds and heights (Meara was taller).
- Performed with Jerry Stiller on The Ed Sullivan Show 36 times, even though Ed Sullivan terrified her.
- Appeared in cameos in many of son Ben Stiller's films.
- After developing stage fright later in life, she became a playwright and garnered positive reviews for her Off-Broadway plays After-Play and Down The Garden Paths.
- 1976, Emmy — Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series: Nominee
- 1981, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy or Variety or Music Series: Nominee
- 1993, Tony — Actress (Featured Role--Play): Nominee
- 1982, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy or Variety or Music Series: Nominee
- 1977, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: Nominee
- 1997, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series: Nominee
- Mary T. Meara — Mother
- Amy Stiller — Daughter
- Edward Joseph Meara — Father
- Jerry Stiller — Husband
- Ben Stiller — Son
Season 6, Episode 23
- Birth Name: Anne Therese Meara
- Birth Place: Brooklyn, New York, United States
- Birthday: September 20, 1929, Virgo
- Died: May 23, 2015
- Profession: Actor, Comedian, Voice-overs
- User Rating:
- Your Rating: