A juvenile player who successfully transitioned to adult roles, Gish was still in her teens when she beat out hundreds of actresses for the lead role in 1986's Desert Bloom. Following a quick succession of big-screen roles, Gish took time off to attend Duke University studying English and women’s studies. After appearing in supporting roles in a number of indie films and TV-movies in the '90s, Gish got a big career boost — and met her husband, fight coordinator Wade Allen — when she signed on to the last season of The X Files. A recurring part on The West Wing as the first daughter led to becoming a series regular as a local politician's troubled wife on the Showtime series Brotherhood.
- Began acting in community theater as a child and continued throughout adolescence.
- Made her movie debut in 1986's Desert Bloom, a coming-of-age tale set in 1950s Nevada.
- Following work in the films Mystic Pizza (1988) and Shag (1989) interrupted her career for four years to attend Duke University.
- Met her husband on the set of The X-Files when he was choreographing fight scenes.
- Her pregnancy was woven into her character’s storyline in the third season of Brotherhood.
- Though regularly asked, she is not related to silent film star Lillian Gish.
- 1995, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- Robert F. Gish — Father
- Robin Gish — Sister
- Cash Alexander Allen — Son
- Wade Allen — Husband
- Judith K. Stephenson Gish — Mother
- Timothy Gish — Brother
- Enzo Edward Allen — Son
- Duke University, Durham, North Carolina, United States (BA in English, 1993)