The daughter of Oscar-winning actor Jon Voight, Jolie first garnered attention as a high-school computer wiz in the film Hackers, after which she married costar Jonny Lee Miller. Their marriage ended in 1999 just when Jolie's career was heating up. She appeared in three films that year including the seriocomic Pushing Tin, which introduced her to hubby No. 2, Billy Bob Thornton, and the mental-institution drama Girl, Interrupted, which earned her an Oscar. Subsequently, Jolie made a series of blockbusters (Lara Croft: Tomb Raider) and bombs (Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow), none of which made use of her considerable acting talents. After divorcing Thornton in 2003, Jolie focused on working with refugees in impoverished countries and raising her adopted son, Maddox. He was joined by a sister, Zahara, whom Jolie adopted in 2005. Also that year, around the time her action film Mr. & Mrs. Smith was released, rumors circulated that she and costar Brad Pitt, who had recently separated from wife Jennifer Aniston, were having an affair. The couple publicly confirmed their relationship in early 2006 with news that Jolie was pregnant with their first child together. Pitt became the adoptive father of Maddox and Zahara four months before daughter Shiloh was born in May. Their brood continued to expand with the adoption of Pax in 2007 and the birth of twins Vivienne and Knox in 2008. The family has since traveled the globe together, devoting much of their time and money to humanitarian and refugee relief efforts.
- Is of Czech, French-Canadian, English and Iroquois ancestry.
- Made film debut in 1982's Lookin' to Get Out with father, Jon Voight. She played Ann-Margret's daughter.
- Studied at the Lee Strasberg Theatre Institute at 11.
- Was interested in becoming an undertaker as a teen.
- Appeared in music videos for Meatloaf, Lenny Kravitz, Korn and the Rolling Stones.
- Won three consecutive Golden Globe awards in three different categories for the TV movies George Wallace (1997) and Gia (1998) and feature film Girl, Interrupted (1999).
- Named a UN goodwill ambassador in 2001.
- Earned her pilot's license in 2005.
- Was named an honorary Dame by Queen Elizabeth II in her 2014 Birthday Honours.
- After losing her mother, aunt and grandmother to breast or ovarian cancer and learning she had a defective cancer gene, made the decision to have an elective mastectomy in 2013 and have her ovaries and fallopian tubes removed in 2015.
- 1998, Emmy — Outstanding Lead Actress in a Miniseries or a Movie: Nominee
- 1998, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or a Movie: Nominee
- 2000, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture: Winner
- 1998, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: Winner
- 1999, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: Winner
- 2009, People's Choice Awards — Favorite Female Action Star: Winner
- 2005, People's Choice Awards — Favorite Female Action Star: Winner
- 2008, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama: Nominee
- 2009, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama: Nominee
- 2008, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 2008, BAFTA Film Awards — Best Leading Actress: Nominee
- 2011, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Comedy or Musical: Nominee
- 1998, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries: Winner
- 2008, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 2007, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 2013, Oscar — Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award: Winner
- 2015, Critics' Choice Movie Awards — Best Director: Nominee
- 1999, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role: Winner
- 1999, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role: Winner
- Brad Pitt — Husband
- Shiloh Jolie-Pitt — Daughter
- Chip Taylor — Uncle
- Marcheline Bertrand — Mother
- Jon Voight — Father
- Jonny Lee Miller — Ex-husband
- Zahara Jolie-Pitt — Daughter
- James Haven — Brother
- Billy Bob Thornton — Ex-husband
- Maddox Chivan Jolie-Pitt — Son
- Jacqueline Bisset — Godparent
- Pax Jolie-Pitt — Son
- Knox Leon Jolie-Pitt — Son
- Vivienne Jolie-Pitt — Daughter
- Maximilian Schell — Godparent
- Attended New York University, New York, New York, United States
- Birth Name: Angelina Jolie Voight
- Birth Place: Los Angeles, California, United States
- Birthday: June 4, 1975, Gemini
- Profession: Actor
- User Rating:
Trending TonightSee all »
By "Charlie Rose, Inc."Buy New: $24.95
By John BlakeBuy New: $12.24
By Transit Publishing, Inc.Buy New: $25.00
- 1. Wayward Pines: The Truth
- 2. Celebrity Family Feud: Anthony Anderson vs Toni Braxton and Monica Potter vs Curtis Stone
- 3. The Astronaut Wives Club: Launch
- 4. Beauty and the Beast: Primal Fear
- 5. The Blacklist: Lord Baltimore No. 104
- 6. The Vampire Diaries: I'll Remember
- 7. Game of Thrones: A Day in the Life