Andy Warhol Celebrity Watchlist
- Father Ondrej was a construction worker; mother Julia was an embroiderer.
- Contracted Sydenham's chorea (a disease that affects the nervous system) at the age of 8, and was frequently bedridden because of the illness.
- Received his first formal training in art while in elementary school through free classes offered by the Carnegie Institute in Pittsburgh.
- Moved to New York after graduation and found steady work as a commercial artist; worked as an illustrator for several magazines, including Glamour, Vogue, Harper's Bazaar and The New Yorker.
- In 1952, had his first solo exhibition at New York's Hugo Gallery with 15 drawings based on the writings of Truman Capote.
- Debuted his Campbell Soup Can series in 1962.
- Released his first book, Andy Warhol's Index, in 1967.
- Survived an assassination attempt in 1968.
- Guest starred in the 200th episode of The Love Boat in 1985.
- The Andy Warhol Foundation for the Visual Arts was established in 1987 shortly after his death that same year; his will stated that a majority of his estate should be used to create a foundation for the visual arts.
- In 1994, the Andy Warhol Museum opened in his childhood city of Pittsburgh.
- Commemorated on a United States postage stamp issued August 10, 2002; the 37-cent stamp features Warhol's painting "Self-Portrait, 1964" in celebration of the fine arts.
- John Warhola — Brother
- Ondrej Warhola — Father
- Julia Warhola — Mother
- Paul Warhola — Brother
- Carnegie Institute of Technology, Pittsburgh, PA (BFA in Pictorial Design, 1949)
Trending TonightSee all »
- 1. Grey's Anatomy: Arizona & Alex: The First Flight
- 2. Mistresses: Toni Seduces Dom While Savi's Away
- 3. Desperate Housewives: Actors Picking up Character Traits
- 4. Empire: Pilot
- 5. The Vampire Diaries: A Bird in a Gilded Cage
- 6. American Idol: Top 9 Perform
- 7. Neighbors With Benefits: Welcome To The Neighborhood