A plump comic actor who came to prominence as a quick-with-a-quip sidekick on Late Night with Conan O'Brien, Richter initially honed his sense of humor in myriad improv troupes and stage shows. In the early '90s, friend Robert Smigel introduced him to O'Brien, and Richter quickly landed a writing gig on Late Night with Conan O'Brien. His noticeable chemistry with O'Brien earned him an on-camera promotion, and for seven seasons, he provided dry support to the wacky carrot-top host. In 2000, Richter struck out on his own. After a slew of small roles on the big screen (in flicks such as 2000's Dr. T and the Women, 2001's Dr. Dolittle 2, and 2002's Big Trouble), he returned to television. In 2002, he headlined the quirky cult sitcom Andy Richter Controls the Universe, which was prematurely axed. Two years later, he went on to helm another unsuccessful sitcom, Quintuplets, which also ended after failing to gain an audience. He then stuck to being a guest star on established shows like Will & Grace, Malcolm in the Middle, Monk, and The New Adventures of Old Christine. He also kept busy on the silver screen by taking small roles in a number of offbeat comedies including Elf (2003), Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (2006), and Semi-Pro (2008). Another attempt to headline a sitcom, Andy Barker, P.I., managed to charm critics but didn't have staying power and lasted only seven episodes in 2007. He maintained career momentum with guest starring TV roles and a number of small parts in movies. He also did well behind the scenes, voicing a character in the animated features Madagascar (2005)and Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa (2008), which led to more voice work in the Nickelodeon animated series Penguins of Madagascar and Mighty B. In 2009, he returned to Conan O'Brien's side when The Tonight Show With Conan O'Brien launched on NBC. The gig ended when NBC infamously returned The Tonight Show to Jay Leno, and Richter quickly joined O'Brien's subsequent Legally Prohibited From Being Funny On Television stand-up tour. In his downtime, he enjoys a peaceful home life with his wife and children.
- Performed with the improv groups Annoyance Theater, Comedy Underground and ImprovOlympic.
- Portrayed Mike Brady on stage in The Real Live Brady Bunch in Chicago and Los Angeles and met his wife, Sarah Thyre, during the L.A. run.
- Played one of serial killer John Wayne Gacy's victims in a Hard Copy reenactment early in his career.
- Debuted on Late Night with Conan O’Brien in 1993, staying on as a comedic sidekick until 2000, when he left to focus on his acting career.
- Made movie debut (along with David Letterman) in 1994's Cabin Boy.
- Was offered the starring role in the NBC sitcom Andy Barker, P.I. (2007) by pal Conan O’Brien, who helped write and develop the series.
- Joined The Tonight Show with Conan O’Brien as an announcer in 2009.
- Has voiced characters in the Nickelodeon animated series Penguins of Madagascar and Mighty B.
- 1997, Emmy — Outstanding Writing for a Variety or Music Program: Nominee
- 1999, Emmy — Outstanding Writing for a Variety or Music Program: Nominee
- 2000, Emmy — Outstanding Writing for a Variety, Music or Comedy Program: Nominee
- 2011, Emmy — Outstanding Writing for a Variety, Music or Comedy Series: Nominee
- 2010, Emmy — Outstanding Writing for a Variety, Music or Comedy Series: Nominee
- 1996, Emmy — Outstanding Writing for a Variety or Music Program: Nominee
- 1998, Emmy — Outstanding Writing for a Variety or Music Program: Nominee
- 2016, Writers Guild Awards — Comedy/Variety (Including Talk) - Series: Nominee
- Mercy Richter — Daughter
- Sarah Thyre — Wife
- Larry Richter — Father
- Gloria Swenson — Mother
- William Richter — Son
- Attended University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana, Urbana, IL; attended Columbia College, Chicago, IL
Next On TVSee all »
- Birth Name: Paul Andrew Richter
- Birth Place: Grand Rapids, MI
- Profession: Actor, Comedian, Writer
Trending TonightSee all »
We went to Puppy Bowl XIII to speak to the puppies directly about the allegations of certain players illegally eating adult dog food instead of puppy food, the dirtiest fouls to ever stink up the field and so much more