- Studied at New York's Circle in Square Theater School.
- Made his film debut at 19 in Class.
- Was a member of the 1980s "Brat Pack" of young actors that included Anthony Michael Hall, Rob Lowe, Demi Moore, Molly Ringwald and Ally Sheedy.
- Made Broadway debut in 1985 as Flem in The Boys of Winter.
- Had to wear a wig in the final scene of 1986's Pretty in Pink since his head was shaved for a play when they did the reshoot.
- Named Travel Journalist of the Year in 2010 by the Society of American Travel Writers.
- Wrote a best-selling memoir titled The Longest Way Home: One Man's Quest for the Courage to Settle Down, which was published in September 2012.
- Dolores Rice — Wife
- Willow McCarthy — Daughter
- Carol Schneider — Ex-wife
- Sam McCarthy — Son
- Justin McCarthy — Brother
- Attended New York University, New York, New York, United States
- Birth Name: Andrew T. McCarthy
- Birth Place: Westfield, New Jersey, United States
- Profession: Actor, Director, Screenwriter, Producer
Trending TonightSee all »
This doesn't happen every day