A native New Yorker who studied with famed acting teacher Uta Hagen, Peet launched her career in a 1995 off-Broadway revival of Awake and Sing! After a brief stint on One Life to Live she moved to Hollywood, where Peet rarely lacked for work, appearing in a succession of romantic comedies before landing her breakthrough role as a relationship-challenged twentysomething on the dramedy Jack & Jill (1999-2001). Her nude scene in the 2000 comedy The Whole Nine Yards earned her a bevy of fans, but instead of settling for being eye candy, Peet began tackling challenging supporting roles that made the most of her intelligence, including a junkie in the indie Igby Goes Down (2002) and a grieving mother in Syriana (2005). In 2006 she took time out from her jam-packed schedule to make her Broadway debut in a revival of Neil Simon's Barefoot in the Park, and landed a part in Aaron Sorkin's series Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. Despite 60's disappointing one-season run, Peet continued a steady film career, including 2012 (2009) and Please Give (2010).
- Studied acting with Uta Hagen while finishing college.
- Early acting experience included a spot in a Skittles candy commercial.
- Named one of People Magazine's 50 Most Beautiful People in 2000.
- In 2008, volunteered as a spokesperson for Every Child by Two, a non-profit, vaccine-advocacy group cofounded by former First Lady Rosalynn Carter.
- Has memorized all of the lines to the 1982 film Tootsie.
- Molly June Benioff — Daughter
- Henry Peet Friedman Benioff — Son
- David Benioff — Husband
- Brian Van Holt — Ex-significant Other
- Frances Pen Benioff — Daughter
- Charles Peet — Father
- Penny Peet — Mother
- Columbia University, New York, New York, United States (BA in History, 1995)
- Birth Place: New York, New York, United States
- Birthday: January 11, 1972, Capricorn
- Profession: Actor
- User Rating: