Alan Dale Celebrity
Although best known to his fellow countrymen Down Under for his eight-year stint on the wildly popular soap opera Neighbours, Dale found stateside fame playing a string of powerful but ruthless characters on American television. The New Zealand-born actor… (more)
Birth Place: Dunedin, New Zealand
Birthday: May 6, 1947, Taurus
Although best known to his fellow countrymen Down Under for his eight-year stint on the wildly popular soap opera Neighbours, Dale found stateside fame playing a string of powerful but ruthless characters on American television. The New Zealand-born actor moved to Australia early on to further his career and became a national icon for his small-screen work on The Young Doctors and Neighbours. Even though the latter series turned him into a star, Dale disliked the way the producers treated the cast. Perhaps his unhappiness influenced his decision to try his luck in Hollywood in 2000. Despite being a fiftysomething character actor with little name recognition in the U.S., he soon became a ubiquitous presence on the tube, appearing on hit shows like ER, The X Files and 24. He was particularly memorable in a trio of similar roles: three villainous tycoons who also happened to be overprotective family men on The O.C., Lost and Ugly Betty. However, his recent success is no accident, as Dale is known for his impressive work ethic: as a young man, he overheard a DJ quit his job while still on the radio, which inspired him to immediately drive over to the radio station and demand the job despite not having any experience (the producers gave it to him). No wonder then that his life's motto is the quote by Winston Churchill, "never, never, never give up."
- Was an avid swimmer and rugby player in his youth.
- Worked at a variety of jobs before his acting career took off, including delivering milk, and selling cars and real estate.
- Performed in his parents' theater group and did radio voice-overs in New Zealand before moving to Australia in 1979, where he soon landed a role on the soap opera The Young Doctors.
- Became famous in Australia for playing the character Jim Robinson on the soap Neighbours for eight years.
- While he was playing bass in a band with his Neighbours costars at a 1987 charity event, a cast member named Kylie Minogue sang Little Eva's "The Loco-motion" with them, and her singing career was born.
- After moving to Los Angeles in 2000, quickly became familiar to U.S. audiences with roles on ER, The X-Files and The O.C., among other shows.
- Shared a 2007 Screen Actors Guild Award nomination for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series for the ABC dramedy Ugly Betty.
- Says his motto is the Winston Churchill quote, "Never, never, never give up."
- 2006, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 2007, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- Claire — Ex-wife
- Matthew Dale — Son
- Nicholas — Son
- Daniel — Son
- Simon Dale — Son
- Tracey Dale — Wife
Trending TonightSee all »
By Beachbody Inc.,Usually ships in 24 hours Buy New: $72.80 (as of 3:02 AM UTC - more info)
By HBO StudiosUsually ships in 24 hours Buy New: $34.96 (as of 3:02 AM UTC - more info)
- Usually ships in 1-2 business days Buy New: $2.99 (as of 3:02 AM UTC - more info)