Whether it's Adam Richman racing against the clock to eat a 3-meter-long bratwurst on Man v. Food or a group of Top Chef Masters competing to create a delectable meal using only the ingredients found on the Lost island, food-challenge shows are addictive — not to mention mouthwatering.
Gail Simmons: Top Chef Masters meets Modern Family
With TLC delving into the gastro-competitive realm with Ultimate Chili Challenge (May 3 at 10/9c) and Chocolate Wars (May 10 at 10/9c), we found it only fitting share our top six food-challenge moments.
6. Iron Chef America (Food Network): "Super Chef Battle" Chefs Mario Batali and Emeril Lagasse took on Bobby Flay and Cristeta Comerford in an Iron Chef battle. The palpable tension between Batali and Lagasse was more delicious than the food.
5. Food Network Challenge (Food Network): Dr. Seuss cake challengeAnyone who can make green eggs and ham into a cake you want to eat most certainly deserves our praise.
4. Top Chef Masters (Bravo): "The Lost Supper"The cheftestants were tasked with creating a delicious meal for Lost producers Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof. The catch? They could only use ingredients that would be found on the Lost island (think boar and Dharma canned food).
3. Nathan's Hotdog Eating Contest (ESPN): Joey Chestnut takes down Kobayashi American competitive eater Joey Chestnut set a new world record by eating 66 hot dogs and buns in 12 minutes, defeating six-time defending champ Takeru Kobayashi after a neck-and-neck competition. Sixty-six dogs — think about the sheer volume of food for a second...
2. Top Chef (Bravo): Season 6 "Restaurant Wars"Every season, Top Chef's "Restaurant Wars" challenge delivers high drama. Last season, for example, two bickering brothers (the Voltaggios) and two mortal enemies (Robin and Eli) had to smile for the cameras — and the customers.
1. Man v. Food (Travel): The "Four Horseman Burger" challengeAdam Richman's bottomless appetite is impressive, but never more so than when he took on a massive burger covered with four of the spiciest chilis known to man (including the infamous ghost chili). He was given gloves to handle the burger to prevent the spice from burning his hands. And then he ate it.
What's your favorite food challenge?
Sign in to your TVGuide.com account
Or connect with:
See more »
Download the TV Guide app for iPhone, iPad and Android!