Stars Wars: The Clone Wars Canceled After Five Seasons
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
The Force giveth, and The Torce taketh away? Just as anticipation rises for the new Star Wars movie prequels — now with more Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill! — comes word that Star Wars: The Clone Wars has been canceled after five seasons.
"After five highly successful and critically acclaimed seasons of Star Wars: The Clone Wars, we feel the time has come to wind down the series," Lucasfilm said in a statement posted on its website Monday. "While the studio is no longer producing new episodes for Cartoon Network, we're continuing production on new Clone Wars story arcs that promise to be some of the most thrilling adventures ever seen. Stay tuned for more information on where fans can soon find this bonus content."
Fall TV Scorecard: What's renewed? What's canceled?
Debuting in 2008, Clone Wars received critical acclaim from both critics and fans throughout its run." Thank you to the fans and everyone who made the Star Wars Clone Wars so special. We had an amazing run!! 5 seasons of Star Wars awesomeness," tweeted Matt Lanter, who voiced Anakin Skywalker. (Sadly, Lanter's other TV series, 90210, also recently received the axe after five seasons.)
As part of the new direction of Lucasfilm's animation department, the studio has also halted plans for the upcoming animated Star Wars comedy series Detours from Robot Chicken mastermind Seth Green. George Lucas had previewed the project last year at a Star Wars event. "Detours was conceived and produced before we decided to move forward with the new Star Wars trilogy, and in the wake of that decision, Lucasfilm has reconsidered whether launching an animated comedy prior to the launch of Episode VII makes sense," the statement said. "As a result, we've decided to postpone the release of Detours until a later date."
Will you miss Clone Wars?