Sherlock's Benedict Cumberbatch on Elementary Criticism: I Was Misquoted!
Benedict Cumberbatch has denied criticizing Jonny Lee Miller for his new role on CBS' Elementary.
"I am both bemused and upset at this misquote," the Sherlock star explained in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter. "I never said that Johnny took the job for the paycheck nor did I ask him not to do it. What I said is I would have preferred not to be in the situation where we will again be compared because we are friends. I know for a fact his motivations were to do with the quality of the script and the challenges of this exceptional role."
"It is baffling because I have only been supportive of an incredibly talented actor who I am proud to call a friend taking a job I know he is going to enjoy immensely and be wonderful in."
Sherlock's Benedict Cumberbatch: I didn't want Jonny Lee Miller to do Elementary
Earlier this week the Shortlist quoted Cumberbatch in an interview supposedly saying that the actor didn't want Miller to do Elementary, CBS' upcoming drama based on the Sherlock Holmes tales, and that he only took the role for the money. According to Cumberbatch, the actor has no issue with the new series, nor does he feel threatened by Miller also taking on the role of the famous detective.
"Over 70 actors have played this exceptional character before us. To say that there can be only one Holmes would be ludicrous. We're both thrilled to get the opportunity to play him in a modern context. The world of Sherlock Holmes and the world that we live in now is big enough to take more than one interpretation. As a genuine Sherlock Holmes fan I am greatly looking forward to his series."
Elementary premieres Thursday, Sept. 27 at 10/9c on CBS. Will you tune in?