Rick Sanchez issued a public apology Wednesday, calling his comments about Jon Stewart "inartful" and "mangled," according to a statement obtained by Variety.
In the statement, the 52-year-old said he had a very good conversation with Jon Stewart on Monday when he was able to apologize for his "inartful" comments. Sanchez also extended his apology to anyone who was offended.
Jon Stewart: Rick Sanchez could replace Steve Carell on The Office
Stewart addressed the situation on Monday's Daily Show, joking that Sanchez could replace Michael Scott on The Office. However, Stewart also said that Sanchez "probably" has a good heart.
"As Jon was kind enough to note in his show Monday night, I am very much opposed to hate and intolerance, in any form, and I have frequently spoken out against prejudice," Sanchez said. "Despite what my tired and mangled words may have implied, they were never intended to suggest any sort of narrow-mindedness and should never have been made."
Rick Sanchez fired from CNN after calling Jon Stewart a "bigot"
During an interview on the Sirius XM radio show Stand Up with Peter Dominick last Thursday, Sanchez said Stewart was a "bigot" and suggested that Jews run many major media outlets.
Following his remarks, Sanchez was let go from CNN Friday after six years. He had been with the network for six years and hosted the afternoon program Rick's List since January. Sanchez has since been replaced by Brooke Baldwin.
"I want to go on record to say that I have nothing but the highest regard for CNN and for my six wonderful years with them. I appreciate every opportunity that they have given me, and it has been a wonderful experience working for them," he said. "I have tremendous respect for everyone there, and I know that they feel the same about me. There are no hard feelings — just excitement about a new future of opportunities."