Criminal Minds, So You Think You Can Dance
Recapping some Nielsen numbers from recent days, including some very big finales and the premiere of the summer's hottest reality competition:
• The American Idol finale played to a crowd of 27.7 million total viewers, hitting a high of 32.55 mil as Kris got crowned. That audience marks a 9 percent dip from last year, and the show's second-smallest finale draw ever, besting only Kelly Clarkson's Season 1 coronation (which aired during the summer).
• Criminal Minds closed its season with an audience of 13.79 mil, up 785K from its previous finale.
• So You Think You Can Dance kicked off its new cycle with 8.78 million viewers, up 175K from its previous opener.
• Ugly Betty bowed out before 6.27 mil, plunging 28 percent from last year's finale. Friday night, here we come!
• Southland copped 6.4 mil for its freshman finale, up 38 percent versus last week's fantastically competitive slate.
Crave scoop on your favorite TV shows, from this summer or the upcoming fall season? E-mail senior editors Matt, Mickey and Tim at email@example.com. Also, follow TV Guide on Twitter.